Tell us how we are doing


We value your views; to provide us with feedback please follow the procedure below. Please note that we cannot accept complaints by telephone.

Making a Complaint

We wish to respond quickly to all complaints, initially, if we work together we may be able to resolve your complaint informally, both quickly and effectively. For example, if you are a learner you are welcome to discuss your complaint with your RAP Tutor or with a member of Learner Services if you wish.

Click here for a copy of the Learner Assessment Appeals Procedure

Learners wishing to appeal against an assessment grade should use the Student Assessment Appeals Procedure Stu 2d. However, if you are not satisfied with the response, or if you do not wish to discuss your complaint in this way, you may make a formal complaint by following these steps.


Please complete a 'Tell us how we are doing' form, these are available:

In person - from Reception, south site

By telephone - Call 01256 354141 to get a form sent to you

Online - Click here to download the form

Return the form - to Reception or by post to: The Principal, BCoT, Worting Road, Basingstoke, Hampshire, RG21 8TN.

What happens to my complaint from here? 

Step 1


  • It is hoped that students feel able, in the first instance, to make a complaint to their RAP tutor or to any tutors who are involved in their learning. If a student does not feel able to do this, a complaint can be made in writing to the appropriate member of SMT.
  • Alternatively, students can take concerns forward using the Course Rep system.
  • If a complaint is being made on behalf of a student, this should be made in writing to the appropriate member of SMT and investigated on behalf of the Principal.
  • A complaints form can be completed; these are held in reception, can be found linked above or as an Appendix to the College's complaints procedure. Anonymous complaints will not be acted upon.


If you are dissatisfied or have concerns with the service provided by the College you can raise the issue:

  • Directly with the course tutor/head of Faculty or training consultant
  • Directly with the Principal's PA


If you are a member of the public and you are dissatisfied or have concerns about the service provided, you can:

  • Raise your concern directly with the person who, in your opinion, is responsible
  • Raise the issue with the head of department for the area concerned
  • Raise the issue with the Principal's PA

Step 2

  • If the outcome of Step 1 is unsatisfactory, contact should be made with the Principal's PA and must be put in writing 

Step 3

  • If a complaint has still not been resolved to the complainant's satisfaction, a personal response from the Principal should be sought.
  • If a complaint is not resolved by the College Complaints procedure, students have the right, in the case of assessment disputes, to appeal to the appropriate awarding body (please see our separate policy Learner Assessment Appeals Procedure Stu 2d).

Complaints are always acknowledged immediately and, wherever possible, resolved within ten working days.

If a student believes the complaint to be of a very serious concern, they should, in the first instance, write directly to the Principal of the College.

Complaints for Higher Education Courses

If the complaint relates to Higher Education provision, the College may involve the University where the matter cannot be resolved within the college.  If after exploring these avenues the student is not satisfied, they can request a Completion of Procedures letter in order to refer their complaint to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator (click here for link).

Complaints regarding the Principal or College Board of Governors

These complaints must be recorded as described above and will be referred to the Clerk to the Governors.

Making comments or paying a compliment:

As a client of the college you may wish to make a comment on how any part of our service can improve, or you may wish to compliment the college on a job well done, we welcome your views. Please complete a 'Tell us how we are doing' form, as detailed above.

Supporting Documentation

Stu 2d (12) Student Assessment Appeals Procedure

Connect Us
facebook twitter
youtube Linked in
Instagram Snapchat
Contact Us

Basingstoke College of Technology
Worting Road
RG21 8TN

Tel: 01256 354141

Getting here

© Basingstoke College of Technology