Financial requirements

Tier 4 maintenance requirements (money required for living expenses)

Living and maintenance costs. If you are coming to the UK for nine months or more (all undergraduate and postgraduate students) you must show £7,380.

If you are coming for less than nine months, you will need to show that you have £820 per month for each month of your course.

Bringing dependants

If you are bringing any dependants to the UK you will also need to show you have £460 per month for each dependant that you bring with you (so a maximum of £4,140 will need to be shown per dependant).

For example, a student who brings his/her partner and one child will have to show they have held the following amount in their bank account for 28 consecutive days before submitting their Tier 4 applications:

(£820 x 9) + (£460 x 9) + (£460 x 9) = Total £15,660

Evidence required

If you are self-funding (providing the money yourself) the money must be held in either your account, a joint account (your name and someone else's), or your parents' account. You cannot use your friend or your relative's account. If you choose to use your parents' account you will need to provide your original birth certificate (with an official translation, if this is not in English) and an original signed and dated letter from your parent(s) confirming you are their child and that they consent to their money being used to fund your UK studies.

'Low risk' students

Nationals of some countries do not normally need to provide evidence of their qualifications or their money when they apply for Tier 4 (General). The Home Office calls this the "differentiation arrangement" for "low risk students".

Tier 4 applicants from Argentina, Australia, Barbados, Botswana, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Croatia, Hong Kong (SAR) Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand,Oman, Qatar, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Trinidad and Tobago,United Arab Emirates (UAE)  or USA can benefit from this. See the UKCISA page on applications from 'low risk' students for more information about this.

'Acceptable' bank accounts for verification purposes

If you are from Cameroon, India, Ghana, Pakistan, Ian, the Phillipines, Bangladesh or Sri Lanka and plan to use money in an overseas account please check that your bank is not on the list of Institutions that the UK Border Agency is unable to verify.

In all cases the money needs to have been in the account continuously for a minimum period of 28 consecutive days prior to making an application. If it has dropped below the amount you are required to show, even for one day, you will not satisfy the financial requirements for obtaining a Tier 4 visa and your application will be refused. The last transaction date (on your bank statement) of that 28 day period must be less than one month before the date of your application.

Please ensure that the bank statement you provide contains the following information:

  • your name (or that of your parents)
  • the account number
  • the date of the statement
  • the financial institution's name and logo
  • the amount of money available
  • transactions showing that the funds available to you have been in your account for a minimum of 28 days.

Government-sponsored students or other students in receipt of official financial sponsorship

If you are financially sponsored by your government or other official financial sponsor you will not need to supply personal bank statements but you will need to provide an official letter from your sponsor on headed paper confirming that they are financially responsible for you during your studies in the UK. An 'official financial sponsor' is defined in the Tier 4 policy guidance as Her Majesty’s Government, your home government, the British Council or any international organisation, international company, university or an independent school. Please note that if you are sponsored and your sponsorship also covers your dependants, the letter must also contains the names of your dependants and a statements confirming that the sponsor is financially responsible for them whilst they are in the UK.

In all cases documents that are not in English must be accompanied by an official translation.

 Useful Links: 

Tier 4 guide for supporting documents:

 Tier 4 policy guidance: 

Connect Us
facebook twitter
youtube Linked in
Instagram Snapchat
Contact Us

Basingstoke College of Technology
Worting Road
RG21 8TN

Tel: 01256 354141

Getting here

© Basingstoke College of Technology