Important things you should know

Student responsibilities:

  • Enrol at the sponsor institution that issued your CAS
  • Check whether you need to register with the police
  • Check your work conditions
  • Do not claim 'public funds'
  • Ensure that your maintenance funds are available to pay your living costs
  • Open a UK bank account that sends your paper statements by post
  • Make a note in your diary four months before your current immigration permission runs out
  • Keep copies of your personal documents
  • Keep all correspondence with UK immigration authorities
  • Maintain attendance on your course, and submit your work on time
  • If you have a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP), keep it up to date
  • Remember to report a change of address to the UK immigration authorities
  • Do not get into trouble with the police, or commit driving offences

Useful Links


The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) also has some advice on protecting your Tier 4 student immigration status:

UKCISA - protecting your Tier 4 status

BCoT’s responsibilities:

It has been confirmed that under the Points Based System BCoT will be obliged to report to the UK Border Agency any student who:

  • fails to enrol on their course on time
  • defers, suspends, withdraws or terminates study
  • moves to another institution
  • does not attend the course (they expect at least 85% attendance)
  • is withdrawn by the University for any reason
  • breaches the conditions of his/her immigration permission

Please note

Once reported, the UK Border Agency may curtail your visa. We advise that you apply for new entry clearance if you intend on returning to study.

Connect Us
facebook twitter
youtube Linked in
Instagram Snapchat
Contact Us

Basingstoke College of Technology
Worting Road
RG21 8TN

Tel: 01256 354141

Getting here

© Basingstoke College of Technology