Police registration

Do I need to register with the police?

If you are a student from one of the countries/territories listed below, you are required to register with the police within seven days of arriving in the UK.

Always check your visa

If you have to register with the police, your visa will have been stamped to show this. Always check your visa even if you think you do not have to register, as the Entry Clearance Office sometimes stamps your passport even if your country is not on the list.

  • Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan
  • Bahrain, Belarus, Bolivia, Brazil
  • China, Colombia, Cuba
  • Egypt
  • Georgia
  • Iran, Iraq, Israel
  • Jordan
  • Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Kuwait
  • Lebanon, Libya
  • Moldova, Morocco
  • North Korea
  • Oman
  • Palestine, Peru
  • Qatar
  • Russia
  • Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria
  • Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan
  • UAE, Ukraine, Uzbekistan
  • Yemen
  • and Holders of Stateless Documents

How do I register with the police?

T register with the Police you will need to visit The Nationalities Office in Winchester. There details are listed below:

The Nationalities Office

Hampshire Constabulary

Police Headquarters

West Hill

Romsey Road



SO22 5DB

Tel: 01962 871034/ 871098/ 874208/ 871352

E-mail: nationalities@hampshire.pnn.police.uk

All registrations take place at the Nationality Office and you should contact them on one of the following telephone numbers to arrange your appointment: 01962 871034, 01962 871098, 01962 874208 or 01962 871352.

Appointments are available between 9.30am and 3.30pm Monday to Friday. Appointments outside of these times may be available upon request if you cannot attend during the core hours.

Winchester is approximately 20 miles from Basingstoke and is accessible by car, train and bus. For details on how to get there, please ask Student Services.

You must take the following with you to register:

  • Your passport
  • The fee of £34 (in cash)
  • Your offer/acceptance letter from Southampton Solent University
  • Evidence of address (tenancy agreement, utility bill, council tax letter etc)

You will be given a certificate that looks like this:

 Police Registration International 

If you already have one of these certificates as shown above, you do not need to register with the police again.

If any of your circumstances have changed then you need to visit the local police station in Basingstoke to update your certificate. You do not need to go to Winchester Nationality Office. If you're not sure whether to go to Winchester or the local police station, please see an adviser.

 The police should also be notified of the following changes:

  • Your address
  • Extensions of your stay
  • Marital status
  • Course changes
  • Change of passport
  • Employment prohibition/registration
  • Immigration status
  • Changes can usually be reported to your local police station (Southampton). There is no fee for amending your current registration certificate.

You must also inform the Immigration and Nationality Department when you intend to leave the country.

Connect Us
facebook twitter
youtube Linked in
Instagram Snapchat
Contact Us

Basingstoke College of Technology
Worting Road
RG21 8TN

Tel: 01256 354141

Getting here

© Basingstoke College of Technology