Prince's Trust students excelling at BCoT

Staff and students on The Prince’s Trust programme at BCoT.

The Prince’s Trust Achieve programme was introduced at BCoT 18 months ago. It offers disadvantaged young people aged 13-19 the opportunity to develop the skills and confidence they need to reach their goals. It is designed to help students re-engage with education and support them to achieve their full potential.

Achieve allows the team at BCoT to develop and tailor its own framework, selecting units and criteria to meet the needs of students. This includes personal, social development, life skills, active citizenship, enterprise projects and employability. Maths, English and digital skills are embedded into the curriculum ensuring students achieve the Personal Development and Employability (PDE) qualification. 

Lynsey Spillane, Head of Specialist Provision at BCoT, says the Prince’s Trust programme has given hope and a new start to the students. She said:

“Most of the students came to us totally disengaged with the education system and this was a fresh new start for them.  The majority have very challenging home and personal lives and therefore the support we give them has to be continuous and without limits. If they stick with the programme they know it will provide them with the foundations needed for the world of work, we just have to focus their minds on this.”

Dave Gibbs, Programme Executive for the Prince’s Trust southern region, described the progress made by Lynsey and her team as “amazing,” adding:

“This cohort of students have come on an incredible journey which is testament to the hard work and commitment of the team here at BCoT. There is so much evidence of personal development both individually and across the wider diverse group it is truly inspiring to see.”

Two students currently on the Prince’s Trust programme are Natasha and Jordan – below they tell us the impact the programme has had on their lives:

Natasha Perrett age 16

“I’m enjoying the Prince’s Trust Programme, for the first time in ages I feel like part of a group. We’ve all gone through similar experiences so understand each other - it’s like being part of a family really. My confidence has definitely grown since starting in October and I’m learning really useful things through the projects we are doing. At the moment we’re looking at healthy eating and exercise which is great as I’ll need that for when I start the Level 2 Public Services course in September!”

Jordan Ellis age 16

“I didn’t get on well at school so was worried about coming to college. It’s so different here though, it feels safe. I’m now doing exams which I’ve never be able to do before and this is all down to the support I get from Lynsey and the other teachers. I think that coming to BCoT and doing the Prince’s Trust has changed my life.”

To find out more about the Prince’s Trust at BCoT, please call Lynsey Spillane on 01256 306312 or email her lynsey.spillane@bcot.ac.uk

Share this post
Basingstoke College of Technology | Designed by Oyster