Student loans

If you need some help paying your course fees, there are a number of options available.  An Advanced Learner Loan or a Student Loan, both available from the UK Government, can be a cost effective way to get that financial support. 

With either of these Loans, you won’t have to pay anything back until you’re earning over £21,000 a year and repayments can start from as little as £7 per month.

24_plus _learner _loans

If you are 19 years or older and planning to study for an additional Level 3 (A Level equivalent) qualification, then it’s likely that an Advanced Learning Loan will be applicable for you.  Please follow this link to read more about them


If you are planning to study for Higher Education qualifications at Level 4 or above, you can check if you are eligible for a Student Loan.  Full details about Student Loans are available at or our Student Welfare team can help you decide if you’re eligible.  Read on for an overview.


Thinking about higher level study?

You may be able to borrow money to help pay for university or college tuition fees and to help with living costs.  Some students may also be eligible for Maintenance Loans or Special Support Grants too, for example if you’re on a low income, are disabled or have children.

You can start your application through the website.

(Please note, there’s a different process if you’re a student from Scotland, Wales, or Northern Ireland. Contact your education authority if you live in the Channel Islands (Jersey and Guernsey) or Isle of Man.)


Am I eligible?

Whether you qualify for student finance depends on:

  • your university or college
  • your course
  • if you’ve studied a higher education course before
  • your age
  • your nationality or residency status


Your course

This must be in the UK, at a recognised institution and be one of the following:

  • a first degree, eg BA, BSc or BEd
  • a Foundation Degree
  • a Certificate of Higher Education
  • a Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE)
  • a Higher National Certificate (HNC)
  • a Higher National Diploma (HND)
  • a Postgraduate Certificate of Education (PGCE)
  • Initial Teacher Training

Part-time students may also get a percentage of financial support too.

If you apply for a Loan to study an Access to Higher Education Diploma and successfully gain a place on a Higher Education course, your first loan will usually be written off.

Making the right choice

You can get independent financial advice from the Money Advice Service at

Connect Us
facebook twitter
youtube Linked in
Instagram Snapchat
Contact Us

Basingstoke College of Technology
Worting Road
RG21 8TN

Tel: 01256 354141

Getting here

© Basingstoke College of Technology